Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Charleston's Ship Comes In

It’s an age-old battle: the tourists against the locals. Now it’s manifesting itself in a fight between Charleston and cruise ships, according to this article.

First, can I just say I appreciate the fanny pack reference in this article? Nothing paints a more vivid picture of a hardcore tourist than a fanny pack. Not that I can legitimately dis the fanny pack. What other invention so brilliantly combines functionality and accessibility with a pretty snazzy fashion statement?

Second, since we are all entitled to our opinions, let me just throw mine out there: you’re not allowed to have an opinion on this issue unless you’ve been to Charleston.

The city has beauty that only centuries of history can create. I went there. I would have been tempted to think it was a shrimp and grits-filled mirage, but the pictures (which showcase my dismal photography skills more than the beauty of the city) prove it.

This giant ship kills the Charleston vibe from the skyline. I shudder to think of the damage the balloon hats and fanny packs will do inside of the city.


I get the point of the cruise ships. Millions of dollars will help the economy and blah blah blah and so forth. For once can something besides money be someone’s motivation? Often the easiest way to devalue things of worth is to be overly concerned with monetary value.

No comments:

Post a Comment